Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day


Just as we were reaching the car, we heard a commotion coming from the woods. Something was crashing through the brush – and breathing very heavily. Then in a flash the thing burst into the clearing and came charging in our direction, a yellow blur. As it galloped past, not stopping, we could see it was a large Labrador retriever. But it was nothing like the sweet Lily we had just cuddled with inside. This one was soaking wet and covered up to its belly in mud and burrs. Its tongue hung out wildly to one side, and froth flew off its jowls as it barreled past. In the split second glimpse I got, I detected an odd, slightly crazed, yet somehow joyous gaze in its eye.  “I think,” I said, a slight queasiness rising in my gut, “we just met Dad.”

                                                          -Except from Marley & Me by John Grogan

I remember reading that paragraph in the Marley & Me and thinking it described perfectly Gracie’s sire, except he was a black Lab with a little Rottweiler mixed in. His name was Chopper. His owner said they were big fans of the popular Discovery Channel show Orange County Choppers about a father and son who spent more time yelling at each other than building custom motorcycles.

It should have warned me off, but sweet little Gracie, just four weeks old, had fallen asleep on my lap with her mom’s head resting serenely nearby. “Maybe she’ll take after her mother,” I remember thinking.

In reality Gracie must have been more like her dad with some of Marley’s dad mixed in because I’ve definitely seen that “odd, slightly crazed, yet somehow joyous gaze” in her eyes.

I didn’t get a chance to meet Gus’s dad, Odie. I was so excited to meet Gus it never crossed my mind to ask to see his parents. But the breeder told me that Odie couldn't be a sweeter boy and that he is very gentle and loves affection. I also hear he loves water and chasing balls.

Today is Father’s Day and I’ve been thinking about my dad. Most people think I take after my mom, but I think that’s only because I spend a lot of time with her. My mom is the family planner, organizer, and realist. People see those qualities in me, but it’s only because I’ve always had jobs that require me to use those skills. At home, I’m anything but. No, I’ve always thought I took after my dad. We shared a similar sense of humor and even now some of my best jokes were his jokes. My dad was a visionary – able to see the possibilities in life and people, but he had a harder time executing on those dreams. Yep, that’s me too.

Sometimes children rebel or resist the things of their parents. “I’ll never be like that,” they say. But I’ve learned many lessons from Gracie over the years. One of the biggest lessons is to embrace life and be content with who you are. She may have been a difficult puppy and a challenging adolescent, but Gracie has become a faithful companion who makes me laugh every day.

Gus won’t have his father around to show him the joys of swimming and getting petted by the neighbors, but I know Gracie will happily step into that role and will lead Gus and me on our next joyous adventure.

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I share your love for that quotation. We lived it with both of our dogs. When I was in Salem, I realized how much I missed having Professor Jiggs sharing my life. For the time being, I will live though your experiences with Gracie and Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you resent this link to me! I was just thinking about it a couple of days ago and meant to go search for it, since I lost it. I LOVE what you have written and enjoy the pictures, especially the one of Gus in the bookshelf. Adorable! Thank you for sharing your puppy experience:-)

    ReplyDelete