Sunday, September 1, 2013

This isn't the routine

Dogs pick up on routine fast. Gracie and Gus are no exception. Gus has been very quick to learn the pace of the house. Our weekday morning routines go like clockwork. That is until I threw a monkey-wrench into the works last week.

I needed to be at work really early one morning for an online training course. So I was changing the usual morning potty routine. It didn't go well. 

This was our conversation:

Me:  OK, you two go potty.

Gus: What's this? A leaf!

Gracie: Wait, what? You want me to do what out here? Go...potty, is it? Is this new?  I usually get a walk.

Me: I don't have time for a walk this morning, so go potty!

Gus: And a dirt clod! Look a dirt clod. Chase me!

Me: Gus, give me that. Now, go potty!

Gracie: Here? You want me to go potty here? Well, let me sniff around for a while. I need to inspect each piece of bark dust first. 

Gus: Hey Gracie, what are you doing? Can I sniff, too?

Me: Come on, you two! Go potty!

Gus: I found a pinecone! Yay! 

Gracie: Nope. Can't do it. I'm going to need a walk. 

Me:  Fine! Gus did you go?

Gus: Go? Yep, let's go!

A short while later...

Gracie and I return from our walk -- she did NOT go potty.
Meanwhile, Gus, in his crate, HAD gone potty.

2 comments:

  1. I trust your course was far more successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was...it finished an hour early and the day 2 portion wasn't needed so we got back to our regular routine the next day with little incident.

      Delete