Friday, August 2, 2013

Driving Miss Gracie...and Mr. Gus

Yesterday Gracie and Gus had vet appointments. Gus was due for his second round of booster shots and Gracie to check on a pesky hot spot that keeps flaring up on her chin. Wrangling two dogs into the Jeep, out of the Jeep, and into the vet's office was an adventure. I was so  harried by the experienced that I left my purse at home! Thank goodness I'm a regular at the vet's office and they agreed to mail an invoice to me. 

Gracie is an great car-rider. She settles into her space in the back of the Jeep with little fuss. Her main challenge is getting in and out due to her hip and knee problems. We solved that problem a couple of years ago with an Otto step. She is a great pal to have along on a road trip. She watches the road for a bit and the settles in for a nap until we reach our destination. 

Gus has not taken to car riding as well. Of course, this was only his third car ride so he doesn't have the experience. 

I tried to explain to Gus that car rides meant adventures and we would have great fun wherever we went. He had much to say about that (none of it good) on short drive to the vet's office. 

I want to be able to take my dogs with me when I go places. For now, Gus needs to ride in a crate so that he is safe. And he did not much care for that. So I'll need to keep working him to get him use to the car, the crate, and the feel of the road. 

This will be important because in October we'll take our first major road trip to the beach and then he'll see the payoff for being a good car-rider like Gracie. 

1 comment: