Saturday, August 10, 2013

Bragging rights, part 2

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
                                           ~Proverbs 16:18

Back in July I boasted about the brilliance of my dogs. So smart! Over the last couple of days I also found myself bragging about Gus as a potty-training prodigy. 

But as the proverb reminds us, this kind of talk can only lead to destruction. Thursday night I noticed a flood of pee on the kitchen floor. The back door to the backyard was wide open, but apparently someone waited until the last minute and couldn't make the dash in time. Gus looked at me with wide-eyed innocence. Gracie just shrugged. 

This morning as I was awaiting a visitor, I heard the tell-tale sound of someone peeing on the carpet. How can so much come out such a little guy? As I was cleaning up, Gracie dashed off with the used paper towels. And, no, she wasn't trying to help. Really, you guys!?

This past Thursday and Friday, I attended the Global Leadership Summit and was privileged to hear from some great speakers. Joseph Grenny, the author of Influencer told us how focusing on six key sources can enable us to influence change: personal motivation and ability, social motivation and ability, and structural motivation and ability. As I apply this to potty training Gus, I believe I've been employing at least four these six sources. Time to add the other two.

Also at the Summit, General Colin Powell offered sage advice: get mad, then get over it. Sure I was mad that Gus hadn't availed himself to the outdoors to relieve himself, but I wasn't going to let that ruin my day or my relationship with him.

Last but not least, Dr. Henry Cloud, taking a quote from his book Boundaries for Leaders, reminded us: "In the end, as a leader, you are always going to get a combination of two things: what you create and what you allow." 

As I reflect on these teachings, I'm challenged to apply them to my home life as well as my work life. And when I stumble in these areas, I reminded of another great quote from the literary heroine Scarlett O'Hara:  "After all, tomorrow is another day."

2 comments:

  1. Your Scarlett comment reminded me of a Florence King article I wish I could share with you.

    ReplyDelete