Sunday, July 21, 2013

Everybody poops


"Start house training the first day you bring your new puppy home. He'll need to go almost hourly the first week. By 12 weeks he should be able to last an hour and a half." 
                                      ~Your Labrador Retriever Puppy Month by Month

Gus is 12 weeks old and making progress in his potty training. About 90 percent of the time he makes it outside to go potty. And contrary to the book, he can go almost three hours before he needs to go outside. This is especially helpful at nighttime. Yay! Good boy! 

Because of Gus' initial aversion to his crate, I move it into the garage next to Gracie's kennel. He loves his big sister and so far this seems to be a good set-up. [Lest any dear readers scold me for leaving the dogs in the garage on hot days, please know the garage has AC.]

Potty training has also been helped along by Gus's nannies - dog walkers who come by two to three times a day to let him out while I'm at work. And speaking of work, my employer has been gracious in allowing me to skip home periodically during the day to let Gus out when the dog walkers are not available. 

The training manual reminds owners to go outside every time with their puppy so that they can be on hand to praise and reward puppy for a successful pee and poop. Happily the dry, sunny weather has made this a pleasure for me. 

And I suppose turnabout is fair play. I now have not one, but two Labs watching me when I'm in the bathroom!

1 comment: